So amongst all the doom and gloom of 2016 (Trump. Brexit, celebrity deaths) it turns out we has a pretty good year at Beverley Edmondson Millinery! A few personal highlights and even more highlights for the business. I thought I would just do a quick rundown of everything we achieved this year, to thank all our lovely and loyal customers, not only for being on our journey, but for supporting me and the brand.
January marks seven years since signing the lease of on our little shop on the Borough and I can’t believe how much I have grown alongside the business. This year is the year that I really started believing in myself and my capabilities.
Here is a roundup of some of my and the businesses key achievements of 2016:
- Selected as one of 6 finalists for Drapers niche Fashion Retailer of the Year
- Raised £677.28 (and rising) for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal
- Made a record number of hats and headpieces for happy customers for weddings and racing events and lots of hats that travelled overseas.
- Won the Wedding Industry Awards, London and South-East Accessory Designer of the Year through customer feedback votes! Now we’re looking forward to the nationals in January!
- Took part in some fabulous styled shoots with talented wedding suppliers. Have a look at our Other Space styled shoot and the Art School styled shoots in our blogs.
- Launched my business mentoring services, mentoring creative start up business owners to help them make a commercial business from their craft
- Ran my own creative mentoring workshops at London hat week – a first for me! Having oversubscribed classes and some of the amazing comments that came afterwards was really affirming that this is a route that I really want to further pursue going forwards
- The millinery workshops and fascinator making hen parties I offer have hugely taken off over the last few months,especially my 1-2-1 classes! Quite unexpectedly, bookings are now constantly flowing in and is a hugely enjoyable aspect of the business. Teaching is far more rewarding that I had ever imagined! Book your millinery classes now!
- Attended a future high streets forum representing Fabulous Farnham, a Farnham retailer group founded by myself and other retailers, to support and promote a thriving high street.
- Overcame my fears of networking and public speaking by forcing myself into situations that I used to avoid… It turns out if I do know what I am talking about! It all comes easily now and millinery and running a small business are my specialist subjects! This has also allowed me to meet many other fascinating people, many of whom can support my business in many ways, whom I wouldn’t have met without putting myself out there.
- The shop was awarded a gold standard award by a mystery shopper! Thanks to for Ali for providing excellent customer service in store for her knowledge and welcome into store
- Started offering private design consultations outside of public opening hours allows for a much more relaxing and in depth experience for our customers choosing there accessories for big occasions.
- Launched our sister website to Beverley Edmondson millinery, 27b. A luxury accessory shop for women featuring luxury items that complement our headwear and occasion wear, all designed, made or created by myself. Thank you so much to Charley for getting this launch and doing so much behind the scenes to get this live in time for Christmas!
And on more personal note, this year has been full of personal highlights: I gained a brother-in-law, my partner and I bought our first house and started some renovations, we also welcomed Walt the golden retriever cross Labrador puppy into our home and became engaged to be married ourselves! No date yet, but I am sure I will write a blog when it happens!
Thank you so much for supporting not only a small business, but the high street and independents retailers, we are constantly evolving and developing and love having you on the journey with us! Here͛s to an even more exciting 2017!